For the past year we have shared shul updates, news, thoughts on life and world events. We have laughed, celebrated a myriad of smachot and cried together as we faced tough times and loss.
In short, we’ve experienced a year together. Thank you for being a part of our ongoing conversation, for being a member of the schmooze readership. Your feedback is a constant source of encouragement and I welcome it more than you can know.
On behalf of our children, Esther, Leah, Mendel, Rivka, Minna, Clara & Chana, Sara and I wish you a year of unbounded blessing. A year of light and joy. Of nachas and good health. Of abundant parnassa. Of influencing others to do good. Ktiva vachatima tova, leShana tova umetuka!
I look forward to our next year together, see you in Shul!
And now for the top ten Rosh Hashanah stuff to do:
- Get two 24 hour candles. On Yom Tov you may only light a fire from another existing flame. So you light one tonight and use it tomorrow night to light your candles. tomorrow night you’ll also light your second one so that you’ll have a lit fire available for friday’s candle lighting.
- Prepare the eruv tavshilin, which allows you to cook on Friday for Shabbas. Click here for simple instructions.
- In addition to the apple and honey, and other traditional foods you might serve tonight, get a “new fruit” for the second night. A new fruit is one that you haven’t yet enjoyed this season (e.g. Litchis). The shehechiyanu in candle lighting and kiddush is said with this fruit present, after which it’s eaten.
- Order your Lulav and Etrog set! Email email@example.com to book your set. you could also buy Sukkah decorations and prefabricated Sukkahs.
- Teens, want to go on a trip of a life time? Simply register here and then come to Shul over the High Holy Day- and you could win a trip to New York City for the CTEENS conference! Many other good prizes available so register today and be sure to check in to Marais Rd. Shul often.
- Do tashlich. Info in the schmooze attached
- Join Cape Town Jewry on Sunday 6-7pm in Marais Road Shul for special Unity prayers, including special prayers for rain!
- Children enjoy fur kid’s services throughout the High Holidays
- tonight, wish each other, “May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year”
And the number 1 thing to do on Rosh Hashanah…
Hear the SHOFAR on Thursday and Friday mornings at 10:30am. THIS is the Mitzvah of Rosh Hashanah and every effort should be made to be present when the shofar is blown.
RABBI DOVID WINEBERG